Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Mom's Failure...or Success


There has been many times in my life when I feel my parents have failed me. For example...Having me walk to school with bread sacks in my snow shoes.(not lying). Not letting me shave my legs until I was the last one with hairy legs. I still have not recovered from that one. Also when I was 16, I wanted a convertible car with a bow in the driveway on my birthday...did not happen. I got no automobile but was granted the privilege of driving the family van to school. Also, on my wedding, my mom chose some sort of circus theme for my wedding. I did not care at the time because I was so excited to get married, and "in Love" that I did not care. But after the "honeymoon" phase ended, the circus theme really hit me. I can't believe you would do that to a daughter! Just put a clown nose on me. I know it was hot but don't call Barnum and Bailey to rent their tent for a wedding. (It has all started to make sense after I realized I married a clown--the funniest man ever.) Luckily, the tents are made out of such good quality that they are still around. Now we use them for our shade during soccer season. I took a picture to prove the circus tent theme.

Now the purpose of this post is not to tell my mom how she failed me, but to let her know there were more ways she was not a failure. My favorite memories as a child was going on long car drives. My mom would give us each a small gift each hour if we behaved while in the car. If we misbehaved we would have to watch everyone else get one and we would have to wait until the next hour. Torture!!! It felt like she spent hundreds of dollars on all the great gifts. We are going on a 12-hour drive tomorrow to the Redwoods in Northern California. So, I went to the dollar store and spent hundreds of dollars($36.00) for our trip. Thanks, Mom, for the great family trips. You know you did something right when we copy your parenting techniques.
The best thing about all these expensive gifts? All of them will probably break before we make it back home due to their high quality and we can then throw them away. I am sure we will have some great stories to share about our trip. Stay tuned...

6 comments:

Kris said...

That is a great idea! I am excited to hear how your trip goes - we are thinking about heading up that way for a trip sometime too.

Mel said...

That is a fabulous idea. I will have to try that! Have fun at the redwoods!

And hey if that's the worst things your mom did, what are my kids going to say on their blogs?

grama janie said...

OK so I never took the Mom 101 class from BYU. Fortunitely for you my own mom had great ideas to pass along also. You know as a mom you never know how you did until way after the fact. During the time when you are in the thick of it you hope and pray that you don't screw them up too badly and they survive to adulthood. A little baggage is just the fallout, So do I pay for the counsiling?

Sheryl said...

Finding the joy in the journey is every mom's challenge. Your mom certianly came thru for you and you are creating the same legacy for your oh,so cute family! Enjoy the Redwoods!

Caroline Haring said...

Have a safe and fun trip! Hopefully with the toys, your sanity will be intact too.

Anonymous said...

Have a fun trip...i'm actually hoping you post some pictures of your wedding....a circus is supposed to be fun right?