Friday, December 14, 2012

No Joy!!

 I know that I have an old lady name.  Most of my life people would tell me their grandma is named Joy.  My mom says I was named Joy because I was smiling when I was born.  I believed her and was proud when I told everyone that story.  I don't know if I buy it now that I have had 4 kids and know newborns don't really smile.  I also would get dumb Joy jokes...It is a Joy to meet you..."men are that they might have Joy" (Scott still tries to use that line)...Are you always happy...Is Joy to the world your favorite song?  There was also a popular song when I was a teen that said "Joy and pain, sunshine and rain...pump it up."  All my friends would point to me during that song...actually that was not a bad Joy moment.  I have never, ever, ever liked seeing JOY at Christmas time.  Imagine seeing your name in people's yards, Christmas cards, decorations...it is just weird.  People would give me gifts at Christmas with Joy on it, thinking I collect my name or something.  You will not find one thing in my house at Christmas time with JOY on it.  My kids all know that I won't sing Joy to the world in church...so of course they all sing it as loud as they can.  I love so many things about Christmas--just not "Joy" at Christmas.  I am sure any girls named NOEL are giving me an AMEN sister.








1 comment:

Judi Rowe said...

I've always liked your name. It's so positive. Your parents gave you good karma by naming you Joy. I can see how at Christmas time it could get old. I can't think of a better person to have my name linked to then the person we honor at Christmas. We love you Joy.