Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Disaster dinner



I have been going through a phase lately...a food storage phase. How long could we really survive if we had a disaster and what would we really eat. I decided that we could survive about 3 weeks(if I had just gone to Costco). Then for the rest of the disaster we would eat flour mixed with water, seasoned with dried onions. I thought that if the military can survive on MRE's (meals ready to eat), so can we.
Now come the guinea pigs (my family). I got everyone excited for a special dinner. "We are going to eat what the Astronauts eat as they are in space." I explained what has happened in disasters and how we need to provide for ourselves because we might not be able to go to stores. Plus, I added in a quick science lesson on what freeze drying is. We just add water to the MRE's.This is the before and after shot of Teriyaki chicken and rice.






This is the before and after shot of cheesy potatoes and broccoli. I am so health conscious in a disaster...see those green dots...broccoli...healthy.



For dessert, some freeze-dried ice cream. Who has dessert in a disaster? I do. I think this is when you really need a good dessert.

Final product. My kids were not as excited as I was about my special dinner. They did eat a few bites of everything and said it was not as gross as they thought it would be. My conclusion...I would not eat this unless there was a disaster, or I was an astronaut in space, or stranded on a desert island. It actually was not that bad and lasts for 7 years in storage. It is a good addition to your food storage or a 72 hour kit.




Now the conclusion to our disaster dinner. Have a little faith and hope and know that out of darkness will always come light. Our LIGHT was ISLANDS. You don't think Scott was going to just let me serve MRE's for dinner?

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

Island's - now that's my kind of survival! Keep up the good work woman!

JandKWachFamily said...

That Terriyaki Chicken stuff almost looks like the canned food we feed our kitty cats ;)