Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My $100,000 moment

I have been taking showers due to a new product I purchased. I love it all except the packaging. This is the cover of the package. Would someone really go scuba diving with a cast? Scott thinks it is smart marketing to show that it would be water proof 100 feet down. I think you can just show someone swimming which would be more likely. Anyway, I thought it was funny and it made me think I should get out more if you can scuba dive with a cast. Big mistake...

I went to a music concert at the Staples Center. I was crutching down to my seat and everyone was staring because most people don't go to concerts on crutches. My next obstacle was stairs that were pretty steep. I slide down on my bum at home but it would be too embarrassing to do that in public. So I started crutching away and got my crutch wedged in between the seat and stairs. The crutch was pinned under my arms and I looked like a pole vaulter in a cast hurling down the stairs. I slammed down on top of my crutch and smashed it into 5 pieces. The scariest part was that I was near the edge and almost fell over the side to the level below but a small pane of glass stopped me as my face was pressed against it. It was scary at first but when I realized I was OK I started laughing as I realized how funny I must have looked. Everyone else started laughing as soon as I did. I know they were laughing AT me not WITH me...thinking no wonder she has a cast on--how uncoordinated is she? I was wheeled to my car in a wheel chair by the Staples Center personnel (probably to make sure I didn't hurt myself again on their property) and had to shop for crutches at 1 in the morning. Yes, I stayed for the whole concert. I wish with all my heart someone had recorded my fall because I would definitely win the $100,000 dollar grand prize for America's funniest home videos. I asked my date if this were our first date would he ever ask me out again. He said never...too bad we're married and you are stuck with me.
Here is a picture of what my arm looked like the next day.

7 comments:

Andrew & Sarah Clawson said...

Thanks for the laugh Joy! I am amazed that you are taking all of this in stride! Love and miss you! Yes, you are right- it looks like it would be a winner on AFV!

Kim L. said...

HOLY CRAP! That is all I can say about that. That is the worst bruise I have ever seen. Glad you are ok...now get back in your bed....and stay there.

Mel said...

Joy! That looks so painful! I wish I could have seen it too. Too bad it was you though. The packaging was HILARIOUS! That is so funny and so true! Maybe you need to be their marketing person! I hope you get better soon :)

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! That is a massive bruise. Good to hear you could laugh about it..maybe someone got you on their cell phone and we will be seeing you on youtube.

Anonymous said...

That was awesome! I wish I could transfer the image in my mind to tape...I would watch it daily. T used to slip and roll down the hill to my apartment when we were dating and I would open the door and she would have grass in her hair and say "I fell down the hill again". I still married her so you might have still had a chance with Scott. Especially since he has probably embellished this story a hundred times already

Judi Rowe said...

Joy when I read you blog it brings me to tears. To think about the pain plus all you do with your children, husband and church even while you are recovering in bed from the last painful experience. Why didn't Scott swoop you off your feet and run home with you. Superman would have done that.
Please Joy no more pain.

JandKWachFamily said...

Lol- That packaging is pretty funny....the scuba diver looks like he is admiring that waterproofed leg as much as he is admiring that tropical fish. As far as that graceful fall, i'm just so glad you didn't go over the glass partition! instead of armpit crutches, you could use Forearm crutches like David Beckham! ;)