Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mormon Battalion

In 1847, 500 Mormon men were ask to form a Battalion for the US. A little bitterness by the Mormons because this was after the government did not protect them. They did it and ended up in San Diego and helped begin development. They just opened a brand new museum to honor these men. I let my kids miss school for the day to be the first tour. This was a great excuse to have them miss school. I don't want them to have perfect attendance. (I can't sit through a 2 hour assembly to watch them get an award for something that is required of them) Anyway(: It was amazing and I recommend it for all...plus it is free. If the different rooms moved, it would be close to a Disneyland ride. Each room made you feel like you were camping in the forest or a soldier picking up your gear. It was great and very high tech with characters talking to you. It takes about 45 minutes or longer depending on your skills of panning for gold.







I told Sydney she needed to find enough gold to pay for lunch. She told me if we lived back then she would want panning for gold to be her chore. I doubt it... I told her you don't find a piece of gold every minute.



This is the inside of one of the rooms. Kind of fuzzy but behind the campfire there is a huge screen the girls are watching.




Brick making





Highly recommend for all and look for photos of us in the church news next month.







2 comments:

Barbra said...

So cool!!!

I am putting this on our list of summer activities this year.

Have a great day!!

Westover's said...

I saw a picture of your kids on the link to the church website newsroom. How fun!