Friday, October 22, 2010

Boys will be boys

Sometimes I feel like a first time mom as I parent my only boy. Boys and girls are not the same and I have had a few moments that have made that perfectly clear.
Brody and I had to go and do our after school carpool. Everyone who does this knows there is a long line that you wait in and you can't leave your car unattended in this line. I don't know what would happen but it is an unspoken rule of carpool. Minimally a lot of angry parents. Anyway, we were waiting in this line and all of the sudden he got the look. "I have to pee"...me being a seasoned mom said calmly "You are going to have to hold it". To give him credit he tried and did the little pee dance in his seat. I could tell the dance was getting more frantic. I knew he could not hold it and I could not leave the car in the middle of the road and was blocked in by parents. With my girls there probably would of been no choice but to have an accident in the car seat and then have to wash the whole seat. But NO, now I have a boy. I quickly looked around the car and found an empty water bottle. No girls could ever pee in a water bottle. I thought this was amazing and a whole new perspective to boys. He of coarse was proud and as soon as all the carpool kids got in he said "I peed in a water bottle.." Then he had a show and tell and showed all the kids the pee in the bottle. I was just so happy to have a boy and not have to wash the car seat. Is that weird that was the best moment of the day?
My next favorite moment happened a couple of months ago, but I have to blog it as to never forget. Boys tend to grab themselves more when they are potty trained now the diapers are gone. It is great for telling me when he needs to go potty but bad in public. Scott has been telling Brody to stop grabbing himself and it is not a toy. A couple days later I was following my husbands lead and telling him to stop grabbing himself... it is not a toy. He turned and looked at me and said "But mom there are balls down there." I couldn't argue with that. I love you Brody and am so glad you changed our family.
FYI...on my new parenting technique of the African village...so far just the threats of taking pictures of them for the blog and making the neighbors see them has temporarily ceased complaints.

3 comments:

KCraig said...

HA. LOVE it. I'm looking forward to those boy moments with Callin.

KCraig said...

....Also, I wrote the word "breasts" on one of my last posts and Brent told me it was inappropriate. This post made me feel a lot better.

Scubachewy said...

Kachiri, this is Scott. I agree with Brent. The "inappropriate" filter apparently gets shut down when it applies to blogs. Unbelievable.